Monday, May 21, 2007

And then there were more...

  • Writing posts as bullet points makes for a fun timepass.
  • The desire to write is inversely proportional to the time allotted to it.
  • I claim I am insanely busy, but in retrospect I realise I am just insane.
  • Sometimes I wish they would just postpone 'Sivaji' release to September when I will be in Chennai and can watch it with 'like-minded' citizens :)
  • The Mr plans to disown me for that movie as I want to stand up and shout "THALAIVAA!" in my loudest voice. How else can you watch a Rajni movie, pray tell? :D
  • Miss the 80's..wish I never grew up :(
  • The bliss of buying a packet of roasted peanuts for 50 paise, sitting on the cement doorstep of your house and watching the world pass by is unparalleled with all the luxuries of a first world country. Or a progressing third world country which easily forgets its past :(
  • I miss Madras, even more Tirunelveli.
  • Life is beautiful. I can't agree more. But I miss home, I can't deny anymore.
  • "Baleilaka' is one song that makes me smile and cry at the same time.
  • I miss Inji morappa in Virudhunagar station, Guava at Sattur, Kovilpatti Kadalai mittai, Nellai Town Iyer hotel kuzhal puttu, Rajeswari Amman koil pujari splashing theertham on my face, Friday Santhoshimatha poojai prasadam, running barefoot chasing your cousins, wearing pavadai-thavani, one strand of jasmine flowers, sitting under the hand-pump for a bath, kootanchoru, susiyam, thoothuvalai dosai to cure your cold, Athai's Thai Segu& Sodhi, Soma Akka's Egg curry, Kumaresh Anna's bus stories, Megu Periamma's Ulunthan gali, Achi's kanji & Inji lekiyam, Jeya Periamma's cauliflower fry, Jan's beautician experiments, Raja's Chilli Chicken & Chicken Fried rice thrust through the bars of a moving train, Vasu Periamma's murukku, Karthiga's vengaya pakoda, Thalavai's Sundakkai story, Amma's Maida burfi & murungakkai theeyal,Appa's attempts at coffee, Sankari chithi's rava upma, Raji's kadi jokes, Nambi's wisecracks, Kala chithi's puli kuzhambu, Kavi's nakkal, Manicka Chithi's sambhar & avial, Ranjith's paintings, Maavadu, Neer-thanni, idli upma, thengai mittai, son-papdi, feeding cows that come to your doorstep, Sornachi's booming voice, early morning padhani in palm leaves, Nongu, Koozh Vathal batter, puli thanni & pori-kadalai thovaiyal, Garlic rasam, Ratna Talkies Murukku, Kothu parotta & Salna...
  • I want it All. I want it Now.
  • Note to Self: Grow wings but don't grow up!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kumari ,

Ive been following your blog for a long time now , and from the time you got married , think i remember a blog in which you'd mentioned all your last minute thoughts ,till now , your feeling hasnt changed !You are still homesick ! So , pack your bags and go home ! Lifes too short :)

12:24 AM  
Blogger Shirsha said...

Does one get more nostalgic closer to the home-coming?

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello.....this is samantha here...am studyin in germany at d moment.....its too good!!! kudos! was missin chennai a lot already....n aftr readin ur blog...my god! ippove ticket book pannindu kalambarein!!! keep up the good work!!! n am gonna become a regular visitor for ur site!!! cheers:)

7:36 PM  
Blogger shub said...

lovely.

5:19 AM  
Blogger The Tobacconist said...

Short one,

If you want to put Thalaiva enthu, come to the midwest. Junta are there to give gambany. Wonly thing wanted in exchange, support the Panthers for one game next season :D.

10:05 PM  
Blogger IBH said...

:) now that am here for good..i can tell u how much i missed all those that u had written..but not anymore.....
after coming here, i realised, I MISSED INDIA above all:)

thalaivar a pakka seekeram vanga :)

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi kumari,

I know from your blog that you are in NH area.
Could you please spread the word around for a bone marrow drive happening in the area on June 9th.
The details are on the website (upper right corner) of a person called vinay who needs a marrow transplant. The website is http://www.helpvinay.org
and here is somebody who could need your donation:
http://savesubash.org/index.html

It would be great if you can register,spread the word and/or organize a drive at your place of work or in your community.

Thanks!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pidikalana kalambidu , polambadha

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a Tirunelveli connection?!!!

MaheshC.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Su said...

Interesting read. I used to write very similar blogs before I moved back for good to India. I must admit that I was not in the US for too long ( around 4 years). However, the charm of moving back lessens a little when you are stuck in screaming traffic,see the horrid games that TN politicians play and see the general unfairness. It is virtually impossible for middle class and upper middle class people to even buy a home because they ask for 1/2 payment in black money. I grew up in Chennai and live, love and breathe Tamizh. However, living here as a child and accepting that you will be here forever as a questioning adult is easier written than experienced.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home