Wednesday, October 08, 2008

While you were sleeping...

I can't remember the last time I had a really sound sleep.
Wait! I do remember. It was the night of Jan 3rd, 2008. After finally realising that the baby was in no hurry to make an appearance, they gave me some sleeping pills and I was knocked out flat. After that I haven't slept. Period.

No I am NOT exaggerating. All those who very sweetly suggest I 'sleep when the baby sleeps', are welcome to take my imp home and try to do the same. It just ain't possible. Primo, really tiny babies seldom sleep for 6 hours at stretch. Secundo, when they do sleep soundly, it is truly 'soundly'. They snort, whimper, smile, laugh, cry....in short they make such a big deal out of soft noises that you end up sitting awake and staring at the li'l bundle. (To all those who claim they get no calls/emails/blogposts on time - I am one helluva sleep deprived Mommysaurus.)

Thirdo (I do not know Spanish, so excuse) you just aren't sleepy when they are asleep. Like now. The Imp is finally in bed and she would be taking her power nap for another hour or so but for the life of me, I am unable to sleep. I tossed and turned, wrote 2 posts and 2 stories in my head, made a to-do list for The Mr to tackle and finally gave up. 

It's like the bedtime song I sing to her, 'Kaalamithu Kaalamithu' from the movie 'Chithi'...as a girl you get to sleep only at birth. I guess my time to sleep is over and done with. Somewhere down the line, without my knowledge I must've grown up. Darn it!

There are lullabies to be sung, cookies to bake, stories to share and dances to swing to...sigh. I don't think I'll be sleeping any time soon. What if she 'grows up' while I am sleeping?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Vidhya Rajesh said...

You could not be farther away from the truth ....
The other day a married colleague talked of sleeping continuously for 14 hours and us "girls" with "girls-of-their-own" are just staring at her as if she uttered something out of this galaxy ....
we are waiting for her to give the "news" next year !!! and ask if she atleast gets the "1" hour out of "14" hours now ..

4:48 PM  
Blogger Jira said...

"without my knowledge I must've grown up"
lol :)

Ah! Sleep deprivation, the first hallmark of parenthood! Sleep is the first thing we sacrifice for the kids I suppose! :) Oh! You will sleep when she is grown up!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Vee said...

I bow to your wisdom, oh ladywithoutanysleep. You still manage to string together words to form lyrical sentences. :)

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home