Tuesday, April 26, 2005

An epic in Translation

Well after a really bad case of translation, Vishnu wanted the song 'Kaadal Seidhal Paavam' from 'Mounam Pesiyadhe' to be translated in English. Good Samaritan Mahesh did wonders to the song with his literary skills and here is the rendition in English for all your eyes.
It was supposed to be a joint effort but then since there is a "Tolet" board on my top floor, i decided to stay away from the song and thus a catastrophe was averted.

Three Cheers to Mahesh! You are just amazing Dude!

The English Version:

Over many a tiny episodes of taunts
you sew my heart with thorns,
with deft swordplay with my eyes
you left my bruised mind to wonder
if my falling in love was a farce,
if sorrow shall be my lone paramour?

I spoke of love as passing clouds
you presented yourself as pouring rain
and when I decided to drench myself
you burnt all my stakes.
I existed merely as language does
with you I flowered as a poem.
Now when I no more can separate my life from yours
You have turned yourself into a fickle dream.
Listen, Can't you hear the wails of my restraint
Can't you sense my love's refrain?

When I was a lonely traveller
u persisted with me like a shadow
When I turned a seeker you descended
into my laps as Truth itself
and showered me love with your words.
And when I let that love sneak into me
I professed, proposed, beseeched
Alas, never knowing you always belonged to another heart

The Original Tamil Song:


chinna chinnathai penne
en nenjil, mutkalal thaithai
en vizhiyil vazh kondu veesi
ilam manathail kayangal thanthai...
thunbam mattum en urava
unai kaadhal seithathe thavaraaa

uyirae...
uyirae...

kaadhal seithaal paavam
penmai ellam maayam
unmai kanden unnaal penne
pengal kannil sikkum
aangal ellam paavam
unmai kanden unnaal penne
[The above chorus not translated]

kaadhal verum megam endren
adai mazhayaai vandhai
mazhaiodu nanainthida vanthen
nee theeyai mootinai
mozhiyaaga irundenae
unnal isayaaga malarnthenae
en uyirodu kalandhaval nee thaan, ye penne
kanavagi kalainthadhum eno?, sol kanne
mounam pesiyadhe unakkadhu theriyalaiya?
kaadhal varthaigalaai kangal ariyalaiya?

kaadhal seithaal paavam (Repeat)

thunai indri thaniyaai sendren
en nizhalaai vandhaai
vidai thedum maanavan aanen
en vidayum neeyena
vandhaiye en madiyil
kaadhal thanthaiye un mozhiyil
en nenjil kaadhal vandhu naan sonnaen
un kaadhal veror mananthil ennai nonthen
kangal ullavarai kaathal azhivathillai
pengal ullavarai aangal jeipathillai

kaadhal seithaal paavam (Repeat)

5 Comments:

Blogger Oneirodynic said...

Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo.

I never thought internet could be SO powerful.Thanks lady,you made my day!

2:44 AM  
Blogger Vignesh said...

I remember hitting up a woman once with this gig... lyrics of a song.. back in the day when Bryan Adams seemed goole ;)

And looking at the recent spate of posts, I wonder how YOU could ever ask ME if I had too much time on my hands...

3:51 AM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Vishnu: The Net is flung far & wide so fear not mon ami :) All thanks to Mahesh!

@Vignesh: I did NOT draw graphs :)
but tell me how come you seem to have *connections* to every post of mine :p

4:25 AM  
Blogger Vignesh said...

Oh, thats coz even if I don't have any, I come up with soemthing... just to sound like I have something to say even when I don't ;)

But in this case, it was true. I promise ;)

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT!!! now that i know what that song meant.. i am really touched.. thanks! hey, pass by my site sometime.. anthony.i.ph , comment or tag me or something.. thanks again!

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home