Friday, August 18, 2006

Happiness is a Myth...

So claims Karla, a character in the novel Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.
Before I say anything more, I would like to make it clear that this is NOT a review of the book. I am not good at writing reviews esp not when I am emotionally tied to the book.

From the first chapter when we meet Prabhaker, the Bombay guide with a really BIG smile, to the last chapter when Lin falls at the feet of Kishan, Prabhaker's dad, the book is riveting. There is no turning back on this journey. Nowhere do you find Lin glossing over the faults of India or poking holes at its many-layered culture because that's not how we work. Behind our need to know what is cooking in AptC and whose daughter is married to whom, there is an undercurrent of love and belonging which is evident in this narrative.

And that is why I love the book. The author and the protagonist surrender to the phenomenon that is India and there is no other way to live in our country. Yes we have our faults, yes we are hypocritical at times, we fight, lie, steal, kill and walk aloof when someone suffers but we also know to love, treasure the simple things in life and smile...smile even when we have no clue where our next meal is going to come from.

The book made me so homesick, I just wanted to run home immediately. Who cares about dishwashers, online bills, Survivor or Dunkin Donuts when I can visit Amma for hot cup of coffee, take an auto to roam the entire city?

One needs to be crushed in a busy train compartment to savour the breath of fresh air as you step outside; one yearns for the flowerseller's smile as she sells you jasmine strands and tells you to grow your hair longer; one longs to see the shopkeeper smile with his teeth clenched when you drive a hard bargain for a bunch of coriander.

Yes I miss all those quirks coz that's what made it home, a place where you grumble the most and are treated the best. I love Shantaram coz he brought the crowd - the smells, the noise, the songs and dance of an Indian life- into my living room in a country where I will always be an outsider.

Sometimes, one needs to be lost in a crowd to feel oneself.

P.S: Apparently Johnny Depp is gonna play Shantaram. Please, pwetty please if anyone knows anyone who knows someone working on that film, can you recommend me for a role? Even the role of Radha, Lin's neighbour in the slum who dies of cholera is more than enough. Please :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Vee said...

Listen woman...stop trying to steal MY men. First Brandon Routh, now Johnny Dep?? lol Sounds like a good book.

10:09 PM  
Blogger shub said...

hehe sweet little post :) Loved it!!
yup, I'm ODing on amma's filter coffee like never before these days!!! :D

1:10 PM  
Blogger Anu said...

I loved the book as well..When I finished, I felt I was leaving a friend behind! Very truly felt and written story and the best part was that I read the book, when I was in Bombay and I was staying in very much the same area that he writes about..(Colaba, Regal theatre, cafe montgear and the causeway!) ..:)..I felt I was almost a part of the story myself..! Loved the way you shared your feelings on the same..:)

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

noone can describe it better than U. Whats all this training thing about .softwearing ?:) miss u -diba

7:31 AM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Vee: :D You can have Brandon Routh but Depp is All mine (like this kid I know says "Cake all mine") :)

@shub: Thank you and I am extremely J of you nowadays so stop talking about Amma's coffee :p

@Anu:Exactly, heartfelt is the word I was searching for :) The Mr has stayed in Bombay and those were the reasons he wanted to read the book. He truly takes you along with him in all his adventures. The only place i felt bored was when the mafia don talks about complexity, life, right and wrong :) Thank you :)

7:24 AM  
Blogger Balaji said...

very nicely written. i rated 'shantaram' as 1 of the top 5 books i've read and u've pretty much laid out the reasons for that! roberts wrote about a lot of not-so-nice things and yet, his love for the country and its people shone through.

6:25 PM  
Blogger RS said...

Inspired by your post, I picked up Shantaram at our library :) Am on page 56 now and I like it so far.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Balaji: Thanks :) Actually I was looking thru your archives coz I remembered you writing sth about the book, but I couldn't find it. SO decided to write onemyself :)

@RS: trust me, you won't regret it!

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home