Tuesday, January 09, 2007

'Appy Noo 'Ear

2007 dawned quite unceremoniously in our humble abode. But it didn't walk alone; it came in with an important lesson.

The Story:

Of late, I had come to believe soft cotton shower curtains in pastel shades with pretty purple flowers are the stuff New Years are made of. And what better time to make it happen than on the eve of the commercialized Birthday of a Saviour? But New Year was still a week away, so my latest purchase lay on the bedroom floor, cuddled inside its plastic shell, unmindful of the kicks we gave it every morning on our way out.

Yes, not once did it occur to me that I should pick it up and put it in its place. Where do you place a new Shower curtain anyway? Especially when I plan to send it to its home on the rod in 7 days? So I let it lie there and every time I passed it, I longed for the day I could unwrap it and let the whole world behold its loveliness.

And then 31st December came knocking. Now I am not really the 'Make Resolutions And Then Forget Them A Week Later' girl. I am more a 'No Resolution is as good as No Resolution' woman (Did you get it? I coined it just now). But being in a new country and having a newer job must have softened my insides coz at 10 pm I decided I shall become Ms.Organized Wonderwoman. After packing off The Mr to buy some chocolate cake, I whizzed around the house in my imaginary wheels, picking up stuff and shoving them down cracks and corners I never knew existed in my house :)

In 1.5 hours, our tiny home was as clean as it could possible be. Nothing on the carpet, or the sofa or the chair or the bed other than what is supposed to be there. I was so proud of my achievement, I helped myself to an extra slice of cake.

New Year. The day I can disappear behind cotton extravaganza. I walked into my bedroom and that's when I realised something was not right. The floor was clean. No plastic bags on the floor begging my attention. When did this silliness happen? I spent the next 2 hours searching every closet (an act made simpler by the fact that were just 2 to search), every shelf in the house. I even checked my pantry. Yes, you have no idea what I am capable of.

Did I tell you that I can remember the pretty flowers on the white frock that I wore for my birthday as a 7year old? I even remember the big green suitcase we used to have when i was a kid. I used to sit behind a make-shift tea-stall built with that suitcase and other trunks in Thatha's home at Tirunelveli when I was 2 and everyone had to buy coffee from me every morning.
Ironic but i just couldn't remember where I kept that stupid shower curtain.

So New Year didn't exactly go the way I planned and I returned to my moldy curtain. Three days later as I walked down the Supermarket, I knew where my shower curtain was. Just like that. Between aisles of canned tomatoes and colourful pasta, I found what I thought I had lost. I rushed home, dropped the bags at the door, ran to the bedroom and dug deep under the bed and found my shower curtain, neatly wrapped. Of course, 10 minutes later I realised what
I really needed was milk - the one item I didn't buy.

Un-Moral of The Story:
If at the end of a day of cleaning, you can't find your husband, then Organization is not for you.

Happy New Year Folks!
This has been in my draft for too long and i just found the time to post it. Kindly Eshus!

5 Comments:

Blogger Vee said...

*LOL* what a New Year! I guess it's begun with housekeeping and being organized or trying to be atleast and that's what you're going to be for the rest of the year. Haven't you heard that "dubious" prediction :)

Happy New Year!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Shirsha said...

So is the new rules like '3 posts/month' types? ;)
Happy New Yr to u too...

12:03 AM  
Blogger Shirsha said...

Btw, love your unmoral! hehehe...

12:04 AM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Vee: Naaaaaaaaaaaaahiiiii (Pliss to read on the mods of a typical Bollywood Mother) Yeah, but i guess I have enough chaos to give it a miss this year too :p

@Gif: Girl! I did manage to write 2 more posts :p The work is actually making me write more, it's just the lack of time that's making it tough :(

Ain't it a cool un-moral? :p

10:02 PM  
Blogger shub said...

HAHAHAHAHA! :D too cute! :D
Pleease do write more girl!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home