Wednesday, December 17, 2008

New Year Resolutions. Newer Resolutions

Being in New England pushes you to the edge, daring you to jump off the cliff of wintry boredom, if only to see stars when you hit rock bottom. This winter I plan to do something less dangerous but still a lot more fun. I've decided to sign up for a few Reading Challenges.

The challenge is to read atleast 5 books on World War II from Jan 1st - Dec 31st 2009. The books can overlap other challenges.
I've already read The Book Thief but maybe I'll re-read it next year.
I just picked the ones that intrigued me from the WWIIReadingList:
The Zookeeper’s Wife by Diane Ackerman
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Behind Enemy Lines:  The True Story of a French Jewish Spy in Nazi Germany by Marthe Cohn and Wendy Holden
Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman
Becoming My Mother’s Daughter by Erika Gottlieb
Obasan by Joy Kogawa

The second challenge is New Authour Challenge 2009 hosted by Literary Escapism.
I'm taking it up because all the books I'm reading for the WWII challenge are by authors new to me, so might as well kill two birds with one stone. 

Only hitch with both the challenges is the entire 'book reviews' part. Ofcourse, the success or failure of these challenges depend on how well The Implet behaves and how much The Mr chips in so I can read and write :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with the challenges.. i am doing the WWII challenge as well.. yet to get my list of books.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Vee said...

Kumari, if you haven't already...you must see the movie Atonement. I can't even explain the emotional experience. His eyes still swim before me when I think of the movie.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home