Friday, February 13, 2009

55 Words Book Review - Purple Hibiscus

Okay since I had been postponing writing reviews for a long time, I tried to make it interesting by doing it in 55 words. That way it serves as a writing exercise for me too.

Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
 
The coming-of-age tale of fourteen year old Kambili. Powerful, lyrical prose that brings Nigeria into your living room – the scents, sounds and tastes. But apart from Kambili and her tyrant father no other character is strongly etched. Jaja’s and her mother’s actions sudden and unexplained. The climax leaves an insipid taste. Yet I loved the book.


To read a review that starkly differs from mine go to Ramya's page.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

like your concept of a 55 word review.. and it is amazing how you've consicely managed to say everything you've wanted to! I should lern that from you!:) and remember loving the book! so much that it was easily my best book for 2008.. but after reading your review, i want to go and revisit the book!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Ramya : You did give it 5 stars with your new rating system. Though I suppose I might give it 4 and that too only for the writing style :) 55 word reviews are easy. Just write everything and then delete words in between :p

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home