Sunday, March 20, 2005

Evening Snakes

I may look chinkie but i ain't turned into one yet to eat those darn reptiles.
But one evening that's what the board in the cafetaria said.

Wokay this post is not about the linguistically righteous but about the gastronomically inclined souls, like yours truly.

Ammukuttz was busy preparing (slight exaggeration considering the fact she spent more time in front of the tube catching Mayaavi clips or in front of the monitor checking the 'blog' scene) for her very last Board exam - Tamizh II; The one paper where no amount fibbing was enough to move the teacher to grade you with an A+. I still remember the time when i wrote 2 sheets about Mr.Casterbridge's emotional turmoil when he realised his daughter wasn't his and then Bang! the question was not on his emotional turmoil...Sheesh! how dumb can one be? Had to redo the whole essay :(

Oops, digression again! Ahem...'exhausted' that she was after studying so much with Thatha, she asked me to prepare evening snacks. And the darling cuz that I am, I obliged! After many debates and discussions on whether I should cook 'Egg Kebabs' (yup, such things do exist) or bake a Pineapple Upside down cake(Whaaat???) we finally decided to make good use of the left over macaroni from my last 'cooking' visit here -- last year :)

As she tried to tackle the intricacies of the Cheran kingdom & Tagore's life, i battled with making a white sauce. How many spoons of pepper does one ever add? Is salt to be added when that concoction is simmering or before that? When the hell will it thicken into a paste? And after some excruciating 10 minutes, Ta Da! Macaroni in white sauce was ready.

Chithapa tasted and said it was excellent with tears in his eyes. I never knew my cooking could move people to tears. Elated, I gave another bowl to Dude, who went through the entire motion of eating it without a single word and then, "Huh, a trifle toooo spicy!"
I flashed my million dollar smile - after all i am not Spicy Girl for nothing! :-D
Ammukuttz waltzd in and said, "Btw, a little too much peppah for ma taste". Hey what happened to gratitude, latitude ,longitude dammit?

Bored already? Wait till i tell you of the time i made coffee...with SALT :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Sagnik Nandy said...

my dad once tried to make khicdi and tea simultaneously and added turmeric to the milk and sugar to the rice - end result wasn't nice :)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Sagnik: Hey milk + turmeric is good for the throat, esp when u have to scream, "Dad, please stay out of the kitchen" :)

@Vital: Hehehe...he knows to COOK. Yipeeee! :D

11:38 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Got here from primalsoup's page.

I am reminded of the incident when my grandmum served me curd-rice. Much to my horror, it turned out to be dosa batter.

Was in very 'bad taste'..:-)

1:46 AM  
Blogger Vignesh said...

At first I thought you were talking about the pasta as the snakes.. then I got the joke.. hmm.. we also have snakes here, later in the evening though.

Good that... whatever you tried to make... didn't kill anyone... I was ensoiing my periamma's wondurful bajji right about then...

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

n now that my BOARDS ARE OVER,how about more macaroni with white sauce,except with "less peppah to meet ma taste?"Ah..i just needed to scream out to the rest of the world that "MY BOARDS ARE OVER BABY!!" kanthi

5:00 AM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@RT: Welcome! Hehehe, hope you have had 'batter' experiences :)

@Ammukuttz: YOOHOOO! Hint for me to blog more :) Yello...ask that bro of yours to treat us at 'Little Italy' - u shall have macaroni made to your taste :p

@Vignesh: Don't gloat about your Periamma's bajji okay. Mesa also had bonda :)

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home