Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A Knotty Tale

Feb 13 2005 Sunday 5 A.M
A sleepy little town called Tirunelveli was lazily waking up to the chirping of birds and mooing of cows...the sun's morning blush told a million tales of a night well spent. But in a small house in Maharaja Nagar Cacofonix was performing his best recital ever.

"Move that sofa there. Not to my right, mandu (fool), but yours!"
"Athai, enakku Kadung-kaapi thaanga (Aunt, give me black coffee)"
"Where are the flowers?"
"Hey i am taking bath next" "No it's me"
"Aaaargh, Amma look she ran in. Podi loosu. Throw my clothes out at least"

Feb 13 2005 Sunday 9 A.M
After an encore by Cacofonix, things returned to a more or less peaceful state.
Some eyes were glued to the gate, others to the clock while one pair looked deep into nothingness and waited patiently.
Finally the moment arrived. So did His family.

Feb 13 2005 Sunday 10.45 A.M
"Call the girl", said a voice.
She walked in...softly but not demurely...light on toes but sharp on senses.
No flashes of lightning yet his concentration wavered.
They exchanged smiles and glances.

"If you have anything in particular, you may ask" said He.
"Why? Don't you want to know anything about me?" asked She.

Is this one of those Cavin-Susie romances?

"I do cook some times" said He.
"Is it tasty for all or can only you stand whatever you cook?" asked She.

More questions.
More smiles.
The interview was over and the interviewer left the scene...his energy spent.
She stood alone in the living room surveying the scene - is this it?
All eyes now on the interviewee.

Seconds passed. Or was it aeons?
Two words to break the silence.
"I do"

Cacofonix returned with a never-before found exuberance and enthusiasm.

"What colour saree should I wear chithi?"
"Will it be here or in Chennai?"
"Oh my God! I have my exams on that date...change it please, please"

In one unobtrusive corner her moist eyes met another pair...they were moist too.
"It will all be fine, ammai. Trust me."
"I hope so, Amma, I just hope so."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, the truth has out. The story of how our beloved kumayee-ponc-kumari-chipo has entered the next phase of life - that brief phase in life when you are an 'engaged' woman. As it is, for the past one month her phone has been out of charge, and has charge only to speak to one US number :) God knows what is in store for the next few months!!!!!!!

4:02 AM  
Blogger Vignesh said...

damn it !! I wanted to be the first to congratualate and all... sheesh...!!!

LadyK, my hearfelt, warmest wishes ! Don't listen to these naysayers... you are in for the ride of your life... :) I guess finally, someone from the back seat caught said hi and voila.. !!

4:06 AM  
Blogger Vignesh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:08 AM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Divs: Thank you so much but then you jumped the gun and congratulated b4 i can get my 'engagement' post in :) Next few months have more hours marked for "Coffee" in both our timetables :)

@Vignesh: Thanks a lot Geni-Ass!

@Vignesh (in reply to the post you deleted :p): My engagement was on March 13th n this was a note on the 'ponnu-parthufying' ceremony

4:31 AM  
Blogger Vignesh said...

What post I deleted ?!?! I didn't delete anything... unless... you deleted a perfectly good comment of mine... just to come up with a retort... how could you !??!

6:12 AM  
Blogger Jax said...

so simply it was all fixed? woooowww!! :)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Jax: Yesh...hmm i guess it is wonderful yet quaint!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home