Thursday, April 09, 2009

A smack from Joe!

April is apparently National Poetry month. I haven't really signed up for any of those write a poem a day marathon. Thankfully :) But when I can, I decided I shall try to post a few verses. It's been ages since I wrote a decent poem, plus the fact that all ideas seem to hit me after i've hit the bed, do nothing to improve the quality. This is my first attempt. And yeah ignore the punctuation, I'm extremely bad at it :)

For prompts go here.

Prompt: Routine

Not the alarm
or the milkmaid.
Not even the neighbour's 
crazy dog
or the sparrows it chased.
It has always been
"Ammai Kaapi!" -
her very own wake up call.

"Ammai Kaapi!"
Some years on the sofa,
bleary eyed and in pigtails,
a hot tumbler of foaming love and
the lost slumber easily forgotten.

"Ammai Kaapi!"
Moments on a plastic chair
and one last gulp
trickling down the throat
like appa's advice -
a melancholy slow march.

Twenty years later
"Ammi Kaapi!"
Another day, another wake up call.
She looks at her smile,
sinfully delicious.
Her tiny hands reach out 
from the crib.
Who changed the alarm?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Vee said...

Hey Kumari, good way to get back in to poetry. I really liked reading this one because it brought back all my memories and shouting of 'Amma, yennakku coffee venum!' And I like how you ended with the role reversed. :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jira said...

:)

How I wish I could go back in time!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Meera said...

Have always wondered how to define the relationship we have with kaapi.. beautiful poem.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Vee said...

Kumari, your task was done. :p

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home