Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Planned Vacation is an Urban Myth

Travelogue - 1

For the first time in my life, I found myself loving the fact that The Mr is a geek. I mean, if it wasn't for that, why would his Manager ask him to attend a conference on Exchange Connections or some such uninteresting topic in Orlando, Florida? Three cheers for The Mr :D And the icing on the cake, the conference was being held at Disney Swan. Yippee!! The plan was to stay for 3 more days after conf, to roam around Disney World.

D-Day minus 7
The Missus spent an afternoon browsing 'Things to Do in Orlando' and had a brainwave. Why not go to Orlando earlier??? Nudged The Mr from his O'Reilly-induced-slumber and convinced him that it's better to spend the last few days in Disney, wallowing in Swan's luxury as against consulting maps and trying to find a less-expensive hotel close to the theme parks. Thanks to my sweet-talking, re-booked flight tickets to April 4th, reserved a suite in Howard Johnsson* and started packing :)

Now packing your suitcase for a trip is an art by itself. An art which I am not yet the master of. The trip was for 9 days of which 5 were meant for conference. So I packed The Mr's formals and added a couple of Tshirts and shorts. The wardrobe of a girl is never that simple. Do I take the yellow blouse? If yes, then I need the pair of dark blue jeans and a non-denim jacket coz denim on denim is a strict No-No. But then again, i can't carry 2 jackets, that would mean loss of precious space for my skirts. Think, think. It ain't that tough. Finally, I decided denim on denim was better for travel and threw in 4 blouses, 3 capris, 5 T shirts, 1 skirt, 3 shirts and 4 camisoles.

Digression 1: On the 3rd day of vacation, a bleary-eyed Mr opened his bag to see no new Tees. I had completely forgot to pack extra sets of casual wear for him, in my quest for the perfect bag for moi. The dirty looks The Missus received would have scorched her, if it weren't for the fact that The Mr was too tired :p

The Million travel guides on the net had told us how costly food is in DW. So we packed a bag of readymade chappathis, bisibelabath, mutter paneer and the likes to tide us over. And to make it easy, we had booked the suite with oven n fridge. Muhahaha! Now I can spend the dollars saved, on souvenirs I probably won't remember where i kept after I bought them :)

* Howard Johnsson is a decent hotel, very clean and at a affordable rate of $50 per nite. Much less than $200 per night at Swan.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Are Back!!! YEYE (Doing a little Jig). I can start eating Breakfast again. Somehow the bowl of YUCK!! tastes much better with words...beautiful words. I must thank you though. I lost almost a pound during your brief hiatus!!

2:28 PM  
Blogger RS said...

Hey you and your words, welcome back to both of you :)

9:56 PM  
Blogger div_viv said...

Hey, welcome back.
Did u know that one night at Chola Sheraton in Singara Chennai costs $220? I guess stay in cheaper in the US than in India.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Little Medusan said...

Did you know one week stay at SLC at the humble abode of yours faithfully is free.. and it comes with High Speed internet (wireless), oven, microwave, fridge, bawarchi (of course), pool view bedroom, washer dryer, duplex suite and etc etc...

12:43 AM  
Blogger Kumari said...

@Humsika: Now that was as good as going back to India :D Well, I lost some pounds too so it's fair enough that you shared the same luck :)

@Rs: Thank you :)

@Divya: Really? Plus anyways, company paid for the trip so am double happy :D

@Mandoo: Hmm that is inviting if only I can think of what to do with 'YOU' :p

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home